Friday, April 23, 2010

Getting Back Up to Speed

I guess I didn't fully realize how good it was for me to keep busy at the campground until I left. This week I've started working on a web site that's been rolling around in my mind for about a year. Other than that, I haven't done much. I've been in a bit of a funk, and actually considered skipping MerleFest and pulling the house up to Indiana. (Yeah...it really is that bad.)

Over the winter I had been planning to attend the Shakori Hills GrassRoots Festival of Music & Dance this spring. But, I tabled that idea when I committed myself to helping out at Honey Bear Campground. (Dadgummit!) Yesterday I realized that the spring festival at Shakori Hills had already started, and there I was holed up in my RV. I could still make it for Saturday and/or Sunday...and I am thinking about it.

Every Friday morning from 7 - 9, WKBC-AM broadcasts the Hometown Opry from Main Street Pawn in North Wilkesboro. I've been there before, and it's always a real hoot. So, this morning I went again, and had a great time. (It was the first time that I've stepped out of the RV since arriving at Bandits Roost Monday afternoon.)

On the way to the Opry I saw a sign advertising North Wilkesboro's 'Shine to Wine (Wine & Art) Festival. I didn't realize that it was coming up tomorrow! I've been to it (and enjoyed it) the past two years, so if I don't go to Shakori Hills tomorrow, I know where I'll be.

At the Hometown Opry I found out that there will be a free concert of some sort Sunday evening at one of the MerleFest stages or tents at Wilkes Community College. I'll be checking that out if I'm not at Shakori Hills.

The three evenings before MerleFest (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) there are always jam sessions at the venue (also free). The Kruger Brothers are generally there. This Monday's session will also be the monthly meeting of the Wilkes Acoustic Folk Society.

So...from now until the end of MerleFest there's music somewhere every day...and I plan to take in as much of it as I can.

After MerleFest, I'm thinking about wandering north. My brother, Tom, has performed at the Eagle Creek Folk Festival in Indianapolis for the past few years, but I've never been there. This year it's being held June 12 & 13.

After that, the next music festivals that I'd like to attend are in the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina (where summer weather is very pleasant): Floyd Fandango Beer & Wine Festival (July 3 & 4), MusicFest 'n Sugar Grove (July 9 & 10), FloydFest (July 22 - 25), and FiddleFest (July 30 & 31). Big bonus: Two of those events are right on the Blue Ridge Parkway!

That's a lot of planning for a guy who prefers to fly by the seat of his pants. But, I'm pretty flexible. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment