Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dead Certain


I am apolitical. Always have been, and always plan to be.

When I was in my early twenties, the image I had of President Jimmy Carter was that of a "good-hearted hayseed" who just didn't seem to be able to do much. But, after Carter was out of office, I saw a very intelligent man intent on doing everything that he knew to do to help fellow humans (all over the world).

Ronald Reagan seemed to be a really nice guy (before, during, and after his presidency), and I truly believe that he was. He sometimes didn't appear to be very competent...but I think he proved himself extremely well.

While in office, George H. W. Bush appeared to me to be a cold, aloof bumbler. A few years after his term ended, I attended an event where he spoke. He was very engaging and -- at times -- quite funny! Everything I have learned about the first President Bush since he has left office has impressed me.

During Bill Clinton's two terms I started thinking, "Is it possible that -- once he is out of office -- even this goofball hillbilly will begin to look like an intelligent, caring man?" The answer, it turns out, is a resounding "YES!"

So...during the presidency of George W. Bush, I speculated to a few friends that maybe even Dubya was, in fact, a very intelligent, capable man, but that the stratospheric vacuum that a sitting U.S. president must occupy made him appear out of touch and -- quite frankly -- dumb. (I'm sure the press bears a lot of responsibility, as well. After all, virtually everything I know about a sitting president comes from the press.)

Right now I'm about 1/3 of the way through Dead Certain by Robert Draper. (I am paused in the late morning of September 11, 2001.)

IMHO, this book is a must read!

Dead Certain is fast-moving and chock-full of interesting tidbits. Many times I have laughed out loud. ("Somewhere, the late Lee Atwater was grinning like a jackass eating bees.") Draper not only attempts to cover the facts, he is full of essential insight. ("Mehlman's gift was the ability to divine macro and micro simultaneously. He could structure an avalanche.")

I don't believe the book to have an extreme bias. To me it appears to be a factual -- and very entertaining -- account of the presidency of George W. Bush. Without a doubt, the most recent ex-president is brilliant and engaging. He is someone you would love to have as your neighbor or friend.

1 comment: