Monday, July 27, 2009

FloydFest 2009 - Final Entry


Click here for Saturday pics.

Click here for Sunday pics.

In my Friday summary I forgot to mention a real highlight: The Steve Johnson Band's cover of The Times They Are a-Changin'. You can stream or download their Lucille Ball Memorial Park June 5th performance (the whole show, or just that song) at http://www.archive.org/details/sjb2009-06-05.flac16

Saturday I worked at the Blue Ridge & Beyond Dance Stage and practiced my newly-discovered dancing feet. The Belleville Outfit from Austin, Texas are awesome! Highlights: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy; a Peggy Lee number; finally blowing everyone away with the Beatles' Get Back.

They were followed by Forro in the Dark ("Party in the Dark") from Brazil. While Forro set up, Jorge Continentino and I talked sax. Just before they began playing, Davi Vieira asked if we had any "Reh-boo". While I asked Whitney, the stage manager, if we had something called "Reh-boo" another stage hand reached into the cooler and pulled out a "Red Bull". Whitney thinks I'm funny. :) About halfway through their set, Jorge looked back and signaled that he wanted another "Red Bull". I checked all three of our coolers, and we didn't have any. I ran to a few food vendors. Nobody had it. Someone at the volunteer office mentioned the Dreaming Creek Main Stage VIP area, to I sprinted down there, found Jamie, the backstage manager, and he loaded me up with a case of "Red Bull", and a case of "Red Bull Cola". (Thanks, Jamie!) Halfway back to the Dance Stage, someone gave me a ride.

When my shift ended at the Dance Stage, the volunteer department asked if I would consider pulling a shift backstage at Dreaming Creek Main Stage. Then I wouldn't have parking lot duty Sunday. Would I consider??? Woo-hoo! Jamie put me to work in VIP hospitality. When Blues Traveler finished (some time after 11:15pm), Jamie and I helped break down their huge set and load it into a semi-trailer. Then I enjoyed the best beer I've ever had. I don't know what it was, but it was dark, and from the VIP bartender's private stock.

Sunday, I danced!!! I spent most the day at Streamline Stage Hill Holler. Watched The Belleville Outfit again (they put their own lyrics to the tune of Puttin' on the Ritz), then walked to Dreaming Creek for about a half hour of a wicked-good Cajun band. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of their band. They must have been filling in, because the name of another band is on the schedule.

On my way back to Streamline Stage I stopped at Pink Floyd Garden Stage (in the beer garden) and listened to Adrienne Young & the Old Faithful. (What a voice!)

FloydFest 2009 Revival officially ended with Railroad Earth at Streamline Stage. They've been to MerleFest a lot, but somehow I've always missed them. Shame on me! Andy Goessling played an alto sax and a tenor sax at the same time!!! (See pics!)

I was invited to the after-festival, backstage VIP party. I drank a beer while listening to the rock-steady reggae band Transmitters.

Can't wait til next July!

No comments:

Post a Comment