Friday, July 3, 2009

Update on "Counterculture?"

Cadee and her husband, Tim, have been home-schooling ("un-schooling" is the term some FOTRs prefer) their 16-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son. The family is thinking about living on the road, but Cadee has some concerns: "I think I worry too much about hurting my daughter who wants to go to college. So I try to keep her more structured to make sure she stays were she is supposed to be for her age."

Joann writes: "Cadee, our oldest three dd's are in college. All homeschooled (one from 9th grade on; the others from grammar school age). Two are at traditional schools and one is *attending* college while we're traveling. Oldest dd is engaged, although she didn't meet her fiance until she was 18 (she's 22). Second dd is in a courtship relationship. Third one is waiting to meet Mr. Nebraska-Cowboy-Right. LOL Girls will meet guys. That's not really an issue. None of my four girls who have *missed out* on proms, dating, mean-girl-back-stabbing-cattiness complain about it. (Although we have a friend whose daughter really struggles with this and they are making different arrangements.)"

I've been following the discussions on FOTR for a couple of years. My conclusion: If Cadee and Tim take "the leap", they'll never look back.

I have yet to hear about a family who went "on the road" then regretted it. I'm sure negative examples exist. (Maybe they just don't write about it.) All the evidence tells me that families who do it thrive, and are better for it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! LOL at this part: ("un-schooling" is the term some FOTRs prefer)

    Never struck me as a term I prefer, it's simply the style of homeschooling that we live by rather than traditional homeschooling (or school at home).

    Krystal

    ReplyDelete